Home  > The Church  > History
 
 

History:Origins


The Work In Glasgow Scotland

The history of the Scottish work really dates back to about 1915. Here a man named Andrew Turnbull was spoken to by prophetical ministry by his own son, Thomas N. Turbull. This word told him he was to leave his employment at a place called Portobello, by Edinburgh , and to go over to Glasgow and start meetings there.

To start with, meetings began in one of the rooms in his home, which was in Armadale Street , Dennistown, only a small number attending. After a while, with an increase in numbers, the Lord provided the first hall in Port Dundas Road, and this group called themselves "The Burning Bush" While here the Lord spoke again and told them "not to despise the day of small things" for he was going to add to their number in the future. Again after two years another move was made to Renfrew Street . Here the Lord spoke to them telling them they would have visitors from the South. This was fulfilled when Pastors D. P and W. J. Williams went to visit them after guidance from the Lord. This caused a wonderful occasion when the assembly became a part of the " Apostolic Church ".

Once this move had been made wonderful results were seen and in the space of two years as many as 109 people were baptised in water. The vision spread to many areas, eventually bringing to birth 48 assemblies.

In 1921 Glasgow became the centre for a Building Fund for an Apostolic Church and in 1928 after much giving a new building was obtained in North Frederick Street and opened in May, 1929. The Glasgow church is now in Cathedral Street and the central finance offices are there.